Re: feature request/feature discussion?

On May 17, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
Related to my email of last night, I'm wondering if there is a way
(more likely, would it be possible to add a way) to launch epiphany
without chrome (or with minimal, app-appropriate chrome) for more
app-like behavior?
Is it possible? If not, should I file a bug, or is it something that
people wouldn't want to add?

The big issue would be security -- how do you tell whether this is the real application, or a phishing version, or a domain name hijack? At the moment, the only built-in defence browsers have against the latter two is (a) always displaying the domain name and (b) always displaying encryption status (as the padlock icon). This is why even those browsers that used to allow chromeless windows no longer do.
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/174401623>

You could argue that by "installing" the Web app into your Applications menu or equivalent, you're taking the same responsibility for vouchsafing its security as when you install a local application. But unlike local apps, a cracker can take over a Web app without you doing anything at all (the parallel to this is having to manually confirm installation of OS updates even when, as in Windows XP, they have downloaded in the background). And subverting your OS distributor's software repository is, one would hope, more difficult than cracking any individual Web application.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/