Re: Fwd: what is the reason for not making epiphany the default browser?

I can't help commenting on this one :-)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:50:43PM +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>The ubuntu-devel mailing list is in the tail end of a long discussion
>about whether Epiphany should be the default browser in Ubuntu. The
>general consensus is in line with what I've said in #epiphany whenever
>anyone was listening ;-) -- that Epiphany needs to be markedly better
>than Firefox to overcome the familiarity of the Firefox name, and
>currently it isn't.
>
>One message stood out for me as it contained several ways in which
>Epiphany could easily improve.
><http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-January/ 014421.html>
>
>The items mentioned were (with my notes in brackets):
>*   a Web developer extension (okay, that's not an easy one)
>*   the lack of a search field in the toolbar (stop farting around
>     pretending that people will understand search being a bookmark)

Personally I love that. I have to say it isn't intuitive, but once I
found out I've been using it all the time. I know this discussion has
been popping up every now and then and I'm happy that so far no search
field has been added :-)

>*   turning off rearrangable tabs (this probably isn't necessary)

Huh? Why? Are they aware that firefox 1.5 has re-arrangable tabs now?

>*   fixing strangely-labelled menu items, "View" > "Popup Windows" and
>     "Edit" > "Toolbars" (this one's partly my fault, since I promised
>     to spec new menus and haven't gotten around to it)
>*   non-ugly toolbar icons (perhaps use custom icons only if Gnome's
>     default icon theme is selected -- it's not the idea of using the
>     theme's icons that's ugly, it's the default theme that's ugly)
>*   Zoom Out and Zoom In buttons on the toolbar.

You mean ability to add zooming as buttons rather than as a combobox?
Do people use it that often?

/M

magnus therning org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

One day there will be a completely secure computer system. It will
also be completely useless.