Re: epiphany tab functionality

On 8/27/06, Kristoffer Lundén <kristoffer lunden gmail com> wrote:
On 8/28/06, Reinout van Schouwen <reinouts gnome org> wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback. Indeed this is not the first time that the
> subject has been brought up. Epiphany doesn't have a way to force popup
> windows into tabs (if I recall correctly, this decision was made in the
> early days because it could break proper functioning of some web sites).

Popups should never be forced into new tabs - new windows should be able to.
That is, normal links and forms with target="_blank" could go to a new tab
instead, while javascripts window.open is not modified.

Firefox has had this functionality for a very long time, and I've never seen
it break anything. There just is no functional difference between the two:
in both cases the new window/tab gains focus, so it's not hidden like with
middle click. And well, it just works since it is essentially the same
thing: two tabs in one or two windows.

Interestingly enough, I was just fed up enough with this behavior
enough today to post on the list about it. :)

Since the developers seem to be against this, would this be doable in
an extension?  I'd very much like to see this happen and would be
willing to work on it (in Python).

Kind regards,
Andrew