Re: SoC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 13:15 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Peter Harvey wrote:
>
> > If that idea does go ahead, some things to decide are:
> >      * database design (how much to store, how to store efficiently)
> >      * how to blur the line between bookmarks and history without
> >        confusing the user, but having a sensible interface
> >      * how extensions and external apps can/should hook into it and
> >        provide their own meta information in a standard way

You should definitely take a look at tracker[1] by Jamie McCracken[2]

It is a freedesktop initiative, providing both indexing and storing any
desktop metadata in a standard way. It's lightweight and already
integrated in nautilus, for example, i also have one deskbar developper
highly interested in it, and he has a alpha-deskbar integrator with
tracker.

I epiphany can use tracker as it's backend it's a net gain for
everyone..

He seems to be active, even if not very communicating on the subject.

That's what i understood from my developper, i might be wrong though..

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker
[2] http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/