Re: SoC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 21:36 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2006/Ideas , ideas are gathered
> for GNOME's participation in the Google Summer of Code 2006. It would be
> nice if there were an Epiphany project selected for the SoC this year.
> (Last year we had the Search Party extension, but in the end it only was
> made to work on Firefox.)
>
> There are a number of plans for Epiphany that have been around for a
> long time but that never materialized. For example look at the
> 'Untargeted plans' section on http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/RoadMap216.
>
> One possible Epiphany entry would be the long-awaited Bookmarks+History
> integration: http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/BookmarksHistoryIntegration
>
> What are your opinions? Keep in mind that a good SoC project should be
> finishable in 6 weeks time and there must be clear end terms.
>
> regards,

Hi Reinouts,

I agree with the idea of bookmarks/history integration as a SoC project.
What we would need is some of the Epiphany devs to argue out the exact
design of the database, UI, etc. It's going to be a rather important
part of Epiphany, so we want it to be 'right'. Whatever that is. :)

If that idea does go ahead, some things to decide are:
      * database design (how much to store, how to store efficiently)
      * how to blur the line between bookmarks and history without
        confusing the user, but having a sensible interface
      * how extensions and external apps can/should hook into it and
        provide their own meta information in a standard way

Regards,
Peter.