Re: Usability: search dialog missing

On Apr 2, 2006, at 5:11 AM, Jost Boekemeier wrote:

incremental search is certainly not the same functionality as normal
search.

Why not?

Try to select the third entry from the search history,
for example. Please take a look at gedit or the old
epiphany search dialog for a good example, the're
almost perfect.
Which keyboard interface? I routinely use the mouse to
select the desired search term from the history and
click next and previous to navigate.

As I've said, keyboard interfaces are more for
advanced/experienced users. And even if a key binding
is available, it might be easier to use the mouse
interface instead. I don't think anyone can type
shift-control-f, control-g with only one hand to
search for the previous occurence(s).  And what's the
key binding for the second last entry in the search
history?

I can understand why people want incremental search;
most programmers are more familier with the keyboard
than with a pointer device. What I don't understand is
that you've nuked a perfect mouse interface in favor
of an inferior(e.g.:no search history) keyboard
interface.

So basically, your only problem is that the type-ahead find bar is missing the search history menu that the dialog had. That should be pretty easy to restore. :-)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/