can't use epiphany-extensions because I have no 'tools' menu

I'm using an up-to-date Debian Testing, with Gnome 2.10.2, Epiphany 1.6.4, and the 'Gorilla' theme.  I've installed the epiphany-extensions package but can't apply any of them using the usual 'Tools - Extensions' method because I have no 'tools' menu.

I tried switching themes (but without restarting the browser) and this didn't make the tools menu appear.

How can I either make the 'tools' menu appear, or activate the extensions another way?  The extension files are now available in /usr/lib/epiphany-1.4/extensions/.

thanks!