Re: Proposal for bookmarks/history database

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

I too have only very basic knowledge of database design, but I'd like to know if in the future we want to store extra metadata with bookmarks, would that be easy to do with the current design?

If it's metadata to be used for many/most pages, or takes very little space by default, just add a column.
Otherwise add a special table for it.

 string bicon    # NULL if should default to icon

What do you mean by the comment? It seems something is missing after 'if' :)

If 'bicon' is NULL, then we should use the regular 'icon' as an icon for the bookmark. If 'bicon' is non-NULL, then we should use 'bicon' as the icon for the boomark.

enum {
EPHY_DB_PAGE_URL,
EPHY_DB_PAGE_TITLE,
EPHY_DB_PAGE_ICON,
EPHY_DB_PAGE_BTITLE,
EPHY_DB_PAGE_BICON,
EPHY_DB_PAGE_VISIT,
EPHY_DB_SITE_NAME,
EPHY_DB_TOPIC_TITLE
);

Does this allow >1 topic title?

Don't think so. Do you need it?

I haven't considered localisation etc. The easy way to avoid localisation is to not provide topics by default, or only provide topics on first-run (so they can be localised through the usual means).

Regards,
Peter.