Re: VDQ : bookmarks

Hello Beartooth,

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, beartooth wrote:

Is there an explanation somewhere of how to use Epiphany's current
bookmark function?

Is the manual (Help > Contents) not clear on this?

I don't quite recall what the manual said about this in Epiphany 1.0, but my current 1.6 explains it quite nicely.

I imported my carefully constructed, massive collection of bookmarks from Opera -- and I guess Epiphany got them -- but it flattened a multi-level tree, and *alphabetized* it! Even when I know what folder the one I want is in, my beard turns grayer while I get to it ....

Epiphany uses a topic-based approach instead of a folder-based one, but this system isn't very well suited to be accessed from the Bookmarks menu when one has lots of bookmarks. The Bookmarks menu was a compromise in the first place, the original design of Epiphany didn't have one at all, but assumed that you used the location bar for quick search, like Adam suggested already, or the Bookmarks editor.

Having said that, the bookmarks importer of Epiphany 1.4 and newer (IIRC) will try to preserve the folder structure in imported bookmarks. Also, the next stable Epiphany release will most likely include Peter Harvey's hierarchical bookmarks menu, which automagically generates submenus based on bookmark topics.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen	   ***	student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl    ***	mobile phone: +31-6-44360778