Re: A change in direction for Epiphany?

Hi Matthew,

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Matthew Thomas wrote:

Firefox *already does this* to get buttons and (more challengingly) menu
items in the right places for the Mac version, so don't think they won't
do it for Gnome.

Yes, so I've heard. All the better if they do this for GNOME too.

That's true. You'd get native-looking controls (finally!), and you'd get
some speed improvement, but people don't seem to care quite as much
about those things on Gnome-based OSes as they do on Mac OS X.

Unfortunately so, I might add ;)

*   Use error pages instead of alerts. Safari 2.0 does this, MSIE for

Error pages are in cvs now!

Are there bug#'s for your other suggestions?

   Windows does this, Gecko can do this, but Firefox doesn't. Provide
   an "Easy Reading Mode" toggle that simultaneously sets a bundled
   user style sheet (in addition to that entered in the prefs) plus a
   minimum font size.

This is closely related to a11y work. That area is *so* unclear. The Mozilla trunk may or may not include a11y fixes from the Sun Beijing team, and there's no one (not even after repeated requests on the a11y-list) providing feedback on how to improve epiphany's a11y. :-(

*   Provide an Activity window

Isn't this the same thing as the Page Info extension?

*   Get a cool icon. Not one that's a wild non-sequitur, like -- say --

How about the foot-e on the epiphany homepage?
It would probably need hand editing to look good at small sizes.

*   Not so important because most distributors override it, but ...
   Choose a default home page that *doesn't steal focus* when you're
   trying to enter an URL in the window you just opened. Gah!

Christian, how about this?

And that's before we even get to Gnome-specific stuff. For example,
implement a panel applet -- present even when Epiphany isn't running --

I think Nigel Tao's deskbar and bookmark applets could be expanded to provide such functionality. I'd look into it if I didn't have to finish a thesis...

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen