Re: [Fwd: Re: Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and Nvu]

OK.  That makes sense, that the plugin is closed-source, hence its
exclusion.  But it seems that eventually the two technologies will meet
- Flash and Firefox.  It seems that some sort of .swf player should be
included, no?

John

> It seems that firefox doesn't show .swf files.  Maybe I just need to
> install a plugin, but shouldn't firefox, which is gaining so quickly in
> popularity, automatically have the flash player plugin built in?

Firefox should certainly not include it by default. The official Flash
player is closed-source, and the alternative open-source implementation
is nowhere near as good.

On the other hand, your particular Linux distribution could include it
by default as a convenience. If it doesn't, your Linux distributor
probably supplies a package to install it. On Debian, that package is
"flashplugin-nonfree".

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>