Re: Ctrl+Enter

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 11:39 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I forgot to reply to this one...
>
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
> >> I'm thinking of reopening this bug. Supporting (Shift+)Ctrl+Enter really
> >> *does* make it a whole lot easier to open a URL in a new (background)
> >> tab.
>
> > how does it make easier to open a URL?
>
> How often does it happen that you press Ctrl+L, begin typing a URL, and
> realise you actually don't want to replace the currently active page?
> Being able to decide at that point that you want a new tab _is_ easier
> than having to move focus back to the page, press Ctrl+T and Ctrl+L
> again.

Does it happen? I never noticed it in my usage. I tend to consider it an
edge case, but I could be very well wrong.

If it really match an important use case, then the functionality should
be available by the menus (or in a more discoverable way, context
menus?).
Hidden keybindings are both a mainteinance problem (they easily get
broken without being reported) and an interface one (if the
functionality is necessary why shouldnt it be available in a
discoverable way?).

> > This looks easier, more discoverable and more intuitive to me.
> > I know this doesnt really work in epiphany because of focus borkage
> > but...
>
> Well, as long as the focus bug isn't solved, in my opinion we shouldn't
> pretend it doesn't exist!

Probably, but this is not a very good work around. It's both
undiscoverable and not intuitive.

I'm not against the inclusion (and I'm not the one having the final
call) as long as we do it consciously (i.e. we recognize it's a work
around and we think it's worth paying the small mainteinance cost for
it).

Marco