With the new mime system in place for gnome 2.8, and the deprecation of
gnome-default-application-properties, it's non obvious how to change the

You have to right click a file of text/plain mime-type in nautilus to
change it!.

Also the default handler is selected alphabetical of all the text/plain
handlers installed. If both abiword and gedit is registered, Abiword is
the handler unless the user changes it, or AAAbiword is registered ;)

I'm not sure this is the right place to post, it seems to be a generic
problem, 'Open a file of a certain mime-type, in the correct application'.

But luis told me to ask here first, so blame him!... alot!

Frej Rasmussen.