Re: Extension Request

* Reinout van Schouwen <reinout cs vu nl> [Feb, 02 2004 21:40]:
> > google query
> > than to type
> > query
> > and then move through the bookmarks bar items (which doesn't work in any
> > case).
> I can only make sense of your last sentence if you actually meant
> 'location bar' instead of bookmarks bar. And I can testify that that works
> perfectly for me.

i wrote url-bar above what you have cut out.  i mean that you are
supposed to be able to type 'google <query>', 'linux <query>', 'dict
<query>' or similar in the location/url bar and it should trigger the
'smart' bookmark named 'google' with '<query>' as the substitution for
%s.  'keyword:<query>' is a bit too limiting in my opinion.

and i can equally testify that it does not work perfectly for me.  i
don't know if this is related to my rather ad hoc. install of gnome,
using builds from www.breakmygentoo.net, but still, it doesn't work and
i don't particularly like having them there in any case.

> You can also add a smart bookmark to a toolbar and you'll have an entry
> field right there.

Yes, but having smart bookmarks in a second toolbar gets kind retarded
(for want of a better word) when you have a couple (and so is the extra
items in the drop-down list), since they take up a lot of space.  I
don't want to have a second toolbar in my display in any case.  Also,
the keyboard navigation seems screwy with the bookmarks toolbar.

As I feel that all of these ideas I have about how I want it may be
quite restricted to my own personal opinion, I thought I'd ask if there
was any way that I could write an extension that would implement these
requests...
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::