Re: Three Suggestions for Plugins

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 22:28 -0400, Adam Hooper wrote:
> Epiphany is already moving, slowly but surely, towards a truly
> extensible bookmarks system. Maybe as early as 1.6 it'll be possible to
> write a "hierarchical bookmarks system" extension, for example.
>
> Also, it could be that Peter Harvey's neat bookmarks patch will be
> integrated into Epiphany itself.

The bookmarks presentation code (menus, editors, etc.) is almost
implementable as a plugin right now. I am working on re-engineering the
bookmarks presentation system to that aim. I am not touching the
bookmarks database code. I should also point out that this is a
discovery process for me (never having programmed a large C-based
project, have always used C++ before), and I hope is possibly something
useful for Epiphany.

It may be possible (though trickier) to prepare Epiphany for a user-
editable hierarchical bookmark system right now by removing the
restriction that topics cannot have other topics as children. The only
task then is writing a presentation plugin which shows the hierarchy
accurately.

By the way, to allow extensions to add actions to the toolbar, I think
two new functions are needed:
      * ephy_extension_attach_toolbar_editor - to add any actions which
        should be available to the editor.
      * ephy_extension_attach_toolbar_model - to allow plugins to add
        get_item_id and get_item_data hooks.

Regards,
Peter.