Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: [Epiphany] Gtk Certificate Dialogs

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:51, Crispin Flowerday wrote:

> > - According to the HIG, a 'Cancel' button should only be available in
> > response to a user action. It is debatable whether loading a secure page
> > prompting a SSL dialog can be defined as a user action, since the user
> > obviously couldn't know in advance that the certificate may be incorrect.
> > I'd suggest [Decline] and [Accept] instead.
>
> At one point I had "Reject" (as it is the opposite of "Accept"), but I
> had a complaint about that. Looking at it, I think putting the Reject
> back is the thing to do.

Uhm..  Isn't the user action here clicking a link, or typing an URL?
Compare that to for example automatic refresh or a scheduled alert, both
of which are clearly not user actions.

And the SSL dialog is a direct consequence of that said action.  Why
would it matter whether or not it was known beforehand the dialog would
be shown?

> I had 'View Certificate' as the default at one point and had complaints
> that people would like to just hit Enter and ignore the dialog. I would
> much prefer to make the "View Certificate" the default, as people would
> then have to think about accepting the certificate.

I think it would just be plain annoying if the View Certificate were the
default button, I think comparing it to having the Help button as the
default isn't that far fetched.

IMHO, if the Accept is considered too dangerous to be the default button
it would be best to have no default button at all.  It only leaves the
problem that some button gets the focus initially; pressing Enter still
activates a button, but that's ever so slightly different from having a
default button.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 tommi.komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6

This is a digitally signed message part