Re: Kiosk mode

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:44, Christopher James Lahey wrote:
> I've updated my document about Epiphany Kiosk mode.  I've made it a web
> page so I can keep it up to date earlier and so I can do some coloring
> to denote changes so it's easier to read.
>
> I've gone ahead and tried to integrate people's comments.  Please excuse
> me if I didn't address some of your concerns.  This is an ongoing effort
> and I will update this page as discussion occurs.  Please let me know if
> there's anything I missed.
>
> http://primates.ximian.com/~clahey/epiphany.html

Thanks very much for this :) Here are some comments.

- disable_unsafe_protocols
One other suggestion here was to have separate keys for each protocol.
Maybe a list of protocols to disable then ?

- enable_save_to_disk enable_execute_arbitrary_commands
I think it would be quite good to have these as gnome wide keys. Guess
we should talk with the people that are working on lock down for other
apps.

- enable_print_setup
We should move print preview on the File menu. Here it will be probably
necessary to refactor the code a bit. Though it sucks to refactor code
when on the long time we plan to move to libgnomeprintui ...

- enable_bookmark_editing
There are no gconf keys for bookmarks, so I guess the boolean key thing
is ok.

- enable_toolbar_editing
Same as above.

- enable_arbitrary_url enable_navigation
What are the cases that a custom menu/toolbar layout would not cover ?

- enable_new_window max_window_count enable_quit

I'd prolly do enable_new_window and enable_close_window, if there are
not usage cases that it doesnt cover.
How this would interact with javascript ? We probably want to deny to
javascript too to close/open window according to these prefs.

>We do need to have a discussion about whether to have UI elements
>appear & disappear. Perhaps the right way to do this is to just have
>them deactivate, and if the user wants them to actually go away, they
>have to use the Gtk Menu stuff. However, for disabling items, it should
>all be gconf keys. I don't believe there will be a speed hit here.
>GConf does a lot of caching, and specifically you can precache a gconf
>tree.

We totally need to be consistent with what other gnome components does
here. I think this should be discussed, but not on epiphany list or not
only on it.

Another thing. You are using for all keys the enable form (as opposed to
disable). That means if the schemas are not installed/not accessible
users will get a locked down browser. Did we check if other gnome apps
are going to use enable or disable form ?

Do we want to provide the ability to have custom menus layout (it's
already possible with toolbar) ? Independently from the decision of
providing gconf keys for disabling features that can be disabled with
toolbar/menu layout changes only.

Marco