Re: [Epiphany] Some more input about bookmarks

El mar, 18 de 03 de 2003 a las 19:40, Marco Pesenti Gritti escribió:
> So Matthew Thomas sent me some thoughts about bookmarks.
> (The main problem is still multiple topics against single topic ...
> I wonder if it's not better to stay on the safe side and start doing the
> simpler thing. Maybe we will not miss multiple topics ... dunno.)

> 1.  I think the ability to add a bookmark to more than one `topic', when
>     you first create the bookmark, would be more confusing than useful.

I agree with this, but it could be worth to try it and see if its merits
are worth the possible UI and conceptual mess (as seen in tabbed
browsing).

> 2.  `Add a bookmark to the collection' probably should be `Add
>     Bookmark'.

Fine.

> 3.  `Add a New Topic' should be `New Topic...', since it requires
>     further input after you've clicked the button.

Same :)

> 4.  Why `topic'? What percentage of people arrange all their bookmarks
>     by topic? Is it really desirable to try and increase this
>     percentage, by using the word `topic' rather than `folder'? Back
>     when I used bookmarks at all (before I started relying on Google
>     instead), I had Daily, Weekly, and Monthly folders for bookmarks I
>     visited that often. They weren't `topics'.

Ok, don't know in which ground do you base your opinion, but for that
matter I've always ordered my bookmarks and files regarding their
"topic", so topic makes a lot of sense to me. Obviously, this is not the
point. If we want to achieve a point where people abandons hierarchical
modes of arrangement (and IMHO that's what the Bookmarks Editor current
implementation is all about) of bookmarks, calling the conceptual group
where you attach a bookmark "Folder" makes no sense at all. We could
better drop this whole topic idea and return to the old menu concept for
that matter :)

> 5.  The bookmark list should have column headers for Name and Address.
>     Not only would this mean I could search by URL fragment, as well as
>     title, it would also make the two panes look less lopsided.

I've never seen someone look for a page in his/her bookmarks regarding
its URL (History is a whole different story). I guess that the idea
behind giving your bookmarks a name and a Topic is that you will be able
to search for them in a familiar, easy to remember form, not a long,
unmeaningful string of characters.
And in which way are the two panes lopsided?

> 6.  If the search field filters the bookmarks you see in the list, it
>     should be above the list rather than below it.

Fine (it's already above btw, maybe you are talking about the drafts
marco sent to the list?)

> 7.  How does the search interact with the folder list? Does it make a
>     new temporary pseudo-folder called `Search Results'? (It may be
>     useful to provide the ability to save such a folder permanently.)

Sounds like a good idea, but we should not start polluting too much the
topic view :)

> 8.  Apart from the two-pane thing, the bookmarks editor should look and
>     work pretty much the same as a folder in the file manager. For
>     example, there should be a `File' menu containing New..., Open,
>     Rename..., Info etc items. And removing a bookmark should send it to
>     Nautilus's Trash.

Apart from being extremely hard to implement, the trash can bit would
make Epiphany completely unusable outside GNOME, don't know if we really
want that. Regarding the menu issues, daveb propossed something similar,
so I guess odds are good something like that will get done :)