Re: [Epiphany] Why keywords?

Jens Knutson <jensknutson@yahoo.com> said:

> I've been following the bookmarks discussion, and it's inspired me to
> work a bit on ideas for the issue.  Before I post up my thoughts, I
> wanted to get a little more information.  Primarily, what are the main
> arguments against folders, and what are the arguments in favor of
> keywords?  Naturally, I can think of many myself, but I want to tie in
> as many of the pros and cons of each idea as I work on this.  I've
> already googled for a bit of info, and poked at mpt's site, too, but I
> can find no mention of the pros and cons of neither the folder model nor
> the keyword model.
>
> Any links appreciated, and all feedback highly encouraged.

I can't think of any specific web links, but from prior discussion with seth
and nils (gnome ui guys) they seem to generally agree (and I do too!!!) that
the hierarchal filesystem sucks for organizing and dealing with large numbers
of files (or in this case bookmarks) and a nice object oriented database would
be preferable [1].

I think the database approach that epiphany takes is far preferable to the
folder idiom. I doubt that we have achieved ui nirvana yet, but we're getting
there :)

dave

[1]http://nils.gnome.org/gnome/G2-next/objects.html