Re: [Epiphany] Just a question about Epiphany...

ons 2003-03-05 klockan 08.25 skrev tirant:
> Why don't you embed your own Gecko engine instead of depending of Mozilla's gecko engine. I mean, why don't you do like Chimera or Phoenix, that include their own engine?
> That's the only thing I dislike about Epiphany (and galeon), the need to have an already installed version of Mozilla. I know that will increase a lot the download size, but I hate having to install the new Mozilla 1.3, or Mozilla 1.foo, when I don't have any Mozilla installed, or I'm happy with Mozilla 1.foo

For a long time that has been the only solution for embedders (eg,
people that want to use mozillas gecko engine in their program).
But, finally it seems that GRE[1] is ready. When it's used by mozilla
and the packagers split up mozilla into two parts; GRE and mozilla the
browser, no embedders[2] will need to depend on mozilla.

So, in the future there will be no need to have mozilla installed for
running epiphany, only a gre.

[1]: Gecko Runtime Environment
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/MRE.html

[2]: As long as they don't use XUL, like phoenix, but that will be
solved by XRE

--
Johan Dahlin <jdahlin@async.com.br>
Async Open Source