Re: [Epiphany] load new tabs in background

>From: Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpeseng@tin.it>
>To: Steve Salazar <eagsalazar@hotmail.com>
>CC: epiphany@mozdev.org
>Subject: Re: [Epiphany] load new tabs in background
>Date: 03 Jun 2003 21:14:20 +0200
>
>On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 20:39, Steve Salazar wrote:
> > Is loading new tabs in the background (ala mozilla's "Tab Display: Load
> > Links in Background" option) just not implemented yet or is this
>something
> > that was decided should never be implemented for ui ascthetic reasons?
> >
> > I hope it appears soon as it is probably the #1 thing blocking me from
>using
> > epiphany all the time.
>
>Hem that should just work, maybe you had the old pref set, in cvs we
>dropped the pref completely, so it just load in background.
>
> > Also, new tabs appear next to the one they were launched from.  Wil
>there be
> > an option to get them to appear at the end of the tab list instead?  I
>find
> > tabs opening like this to be very confusing when I open a bunch of tabs
>from
> > a bunch of different windows.  Maybe just a gconf pref?
>
>Well tabs opened from a site are put near it, new tabs are put at the
>end. What's confusing with this behavior ?

Well, if I am opening a bunch of new tabs then it can get confusing.  For
example, my morning routine when I get to work (:)) is to open slashdot,
gnomedesktop, linuxtoday, espn in tabs then middle click on a total of about
twenty different stories which I then peruse over breakfast.  If all these
are organized in the same order that I opened them in, then I have some easy
notion, without reading the table on each tab or analysing the
interrelationships between the location of the originating tabs and the
order in which new tabs were opened, where the tabs I opened are.  Now, that
is not to say that the information is not there or that new information is
actually not included in the organization epiphany uses (there is
information in the fact that related tabs are kept together), all I am
saying is that decoding the organization of tags to find a particular tab
requires some mental effort which, for me anyway, is not worth the overhead.
  In general I always find it is easier to just remember the order in which
I opened a tab.

I realize that this may entirely be a personal preference but I think that a
lot of other people share this preference.  I think I would be perfectly
happy if there were just a gconf key I could change by myself although I
would argue in general that this should be either the default or an option
for all users.

Slightly off the subject but relevant, why not include an optional "UI study
module" in epiphany that people can turn off like the feedback agent in
mozilla?  This thing would just keep statistics on which preferences get
used at all and what they get set to.  That way instead of just wild
speculation/theory on inclusion/exclusion of configuration options, all you
have to do is just include an option for a release or two, see if/how it
gets used and then if it is like 90% one way you just fix the preference as
a default and remove it.  If it is 50/50 then you leave it in as an option.
Then ui decisions like this can be based on actual experimental data
(radical notion I know).  I think as long as the reason for including such a
module were made plain up front, most people would be really excited about
it.  You could even have a page on the epiphany web site which posts running
statistics.  That would be cool.  Aside from the option to turn this module
off,  the whole thing could be totally transparent to a user since it would
not require their interaction to send the info and the data transfered would
be very small.   This module could even only be enabled for pre-1.0 releases
or other experimental versions.

Another somewhat relevant and somewhat offtopic question: why are options
removed from the browser and not just removed from the preferences ui so
that they can still be set by expert or highly motivated users using gconf?