Re: [Epiphany] 1.2 Plan

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 06:06, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> I'm writing a plan for 1.2. I'll put it on the web site and post to
> desktop-devel probably. It's unfinished, especially the "Things we
> should work on for 1.2" section should improved/extended, I'm sure
> people on this list has more ideas.
> Feedback very appreciated.

Wow. I've never seen such a great, well thought out list of product
post-mortem thoughts for any GNOME project.

> Things we should work on for 1.2
>
> USER INTERFACE

I'd suggest also maybe working a bit on kiosk mode; it's something we
need for corporate deployments.

> CODE

> - Port to DBUS if it's included. We may be able to drop
> libgnome/libgnomeui/libbonobo/libbonoboui dependecies.

I would guess that if DBUS is included in 2.6, it will not be included
early enough and stable early enough to be used in more than one or two
components. I'd think that ephy 1.4/gnome 2.8 would be a more reasonable
expectation for when dbus is 'ready' for prime time. GTK 2.4 should be a
reasonable part of the platform for ephy 1.2/gnome 2.6, though.

As far as working with the rest of GNOME... it probably is not a bad
thing to work better with the rest of GNOME, but don't feel too
pressured. You guys are doing fine work and the rest of GNOME
appreciates it, even if some want their galeon-crack back. Honestly,
that's why I'm very happy galeon is still chugging along- ephy's
approach is not for everyone, and that's fine.

Luis