Re: [Epiphany] 1.2 Plan

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 14:40, Xan Lopez wrote:
> El dom, 03-08-2003 a las 12:06, Marco Pesenti Gritti escribió:
> > I'm writing a plan for 1.2. I'll put it on the web site and post to
> > desktop-devel probably. It's unfinished, especially the "Things we
> > should work on for 1.2" section should improved/extended, I'm sure
> > people on this list has more ideas.
> > Feedback very appreciated.
>
> 1.2 is the future version that will go on GNOME 2.6? If the answer is
> yes, I propose 2.0 as version number instead.

Yeah will go with 2.6 (hopefully ;), anyone has an opinion about this ?
I dont have one.

> > Things we should work on for 1.2
> >
> > USER INTERFACE
> >
> > - Bookmarks
> > 1 More rich "automatic" metadata.
> > 2 System integration
> > 3 More powerful way of organizing things. (which could involve
> > hierachies, depending of GNOME community feelings).
>
> Multiple topic selection could rock too, this is a hard problem.

Right, part of 3. Need to add it.

> > 4 Something better than a menu to access them, Seth offered to help on
> > this.
> > 5 Improve bookmarks toolbars "editing"
> > (I'm experimenting about 1/2, I may post more info about it later)
> > - Simpler fonts/colors configuration. Themes support (stylesheets).
> > - History: we need more filters, at least a date based filter.
> > - Popups blocking
> > - Tabs preference(s) need to be improved to avoid current
> > conflicts/confusion.
> > - Finish fullscreen design
> > - Encodings menu should show only the most used items (dynamic), the
> > others
> > should be moved out in a dialog.
> > - Use gnome print dialog
> > - Allow to specify a download directory.
>
> 6 Rewrite the download backend/fronted from scratch, it's badly needed

About the back end the question is if we can get a much better design
given mozilla api, otherwise an incremental improvements approach could
work better.
About the interface ... someone need to start design work on this. I
personally dont have major problems with it, but it can certainly be
improved.

> > CODE
> >
> > - Extensions. The framework is already mostly there. Work needs to be
> > done
> > on ui merging and api policies.
> > - Port to gtk 2.4. Hopefully not much more than s/egg/gtk
>
> IMHO some aspects of the toolbar code still need work, like DND: we need
> better cursors, change the ugly black line for something more useful
> (like a shaded image of the element we are DNDing), ...

Yeah part of this need to be done in gtk though.

> > - Port to DBUS if it's included. We may be able to drop
> > libgnome/libgnomeui/libbonobo/libbonoboui dependecies.
>
> and use GNOSIS ;)

Hmmmm do not reveal super secret, super crack projects to the public :P

Thanks

Marco