Re: Project proposal

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 23.03.2014, 12:57 +0530 schrieb Sarbajit Das:
To whom it may concern.

I had mailed this idea to the mailing list for the GSoC events, but
never submitted it in the form of a student project proposal and hence
I realise that I am not qualified for that event. However I would like
to work on this idea in the upcoming summer months as a project under
a mentor if I am allowed, NOT as a part of GSOC though.

Well, we can certainly look into that.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce one of my project
ideas that deals with photo viewers or similar applications. Being an
university student, I and many of my friend rely on photo viewers to
view the image form of the class notes for studies and exam
preparations, and doing this on a regular basis, I think that certain
changes can be made to the commonly available photo viewers to make
them easier and better to use.
It is that because of the handwritten materials, the image would
ideally look better if enlarged because of the clumsiness or other
factors of that note, again some image may have been stored in such a
way that we would ideally like to rotate and read it. These problems
need simple yet tedious corrections and users usually get bored for a
large set of such image files. So i would like to think that if these
corrections could have been done automatically by the photo viewer
itself, then that would make it a lot more user friendly.
A presentation of the image

Well, that's definetely an interesting scenario. Not a standard "image
viewer" scenario though, so this would have to go into a plugin. There
might be some preparational coding necessary so that one can intercept
the image loading from the plugin at the right time for example.

Image rotation is already in and can also be saved. Image zooming is a
viewing only feature right now. However, other algorithms you probably
need, like black & white conversion, are not. So you'd need to find a
solution for these.

Do you wan't to apply your transformations on-demand/when loading the
image or make them permanently and save them to file? This affects the
implementation's speed requirement.

Now I would like to state about my competence regarding implementation
of this project, I have almost finished doing two projects regarding
document processing under professor Umapada Pal (Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition department of Indian Statistical Institute,
Kolkata)  and the implementation outline of this project that I have
in mind will benefit from the code written for those two projects.I
have used MATLAB to code them and would thus prefer to code even this
project using MATLAB for the obvious conveniences stated.
Project Implementation approach.

Well, eog is written in C (extended with simple object-orientation
brought in by GObject), making it the preferred language to use. An
alternative for eog's plugins is the Python scripting language. MATLAB
is not really a tool used by many open-source projects (at least that's
my impression). Because of the limited spread we don't have any MATLAB
support and unfortunately can't accept MATLAB code.

Do you have any C experience?

I would thus like to end this mail anticipating a reply regarding
changing or improving this idea or its implementation. I am very much
eager to work under a mentor for this project from your reputed
organisation. I would thus request for a liaison to work in this
project. I am confident of discharging my duties efficiently once I am
given the chance. I Hope you will look into the matter at your
earliest
Thanking you in anticipation,
Yours sincerely,
Sarbajit Das
3rd year Computer Science and Technology student (under graduate)
Indian Institute Of Engineering Science and Technology

Regards,

Felix