Re: EOG background color ... when in fullscreen mode

Am Freitag, den 06.01.2012, 12:42 +0100 schrieb Ana Dolosa:
> Hi Felix,

Hey Ana,

> ... yes 'oxygen-gtk' style is already compatible with both GTK+-2.* and
> GTK+-3.* ... and this is how EOG 3.2.1 looks like on my Kubuntu Oneiric
> amd64 install :
>
> http://ge.tt/8nL4OyB/v/0

that looks better than expected. Also, it shows the strange setup of
eog's statusbar (note the bevel being to short).

> Talking about IMMERSIVE things ... and why I am so interested in being
> able of customizing the fullscreen background color to my needs ... ...
> ... maybe ... maybe the source of the problem is how I am using EOG. The
> truth is that I am not using EOG just as my Image Viewer ... but also as
> my 'Document' Viewer ... I will explain myself :
>
> - I have come to the habit that ... whenever I read an interesting
> article on the web, a useful howto, whatever I consider very interesting
> and want to have a copy of it ... I take a photo of the whole web page
> (using Adblock plus gives you the chance of getting a very 'clean'
> photo) and store it for future consult or whatever. Instead of saving
> the web page (some files and a folder) I am interested in, having an PNG
> image is much more confortable ... it is easier to move between machines
> using Dropbox , I can even use OCR technology if I want to edit the
> 'document' ... that's what I do ... but ... what I mainly do with these
> 'documents' is reading them ... and here's where EOG comes in. EOG is so
> light, snappy, agile that it has become my 'document' viewer. I switched
> zooming for scrolling on a very deeply hidden entry on DSettings and now
> I can read, zoom and scroll very LONG 'documents' in a very handy
> fashion just moving my finger through the touchpad.
>

> When in fullscreen mode ... where an IMMERSIVE background or a dark
> background may be convenient for viewing IMAGES ... it may not be so
> confortable for reading 'DOCUMENTS' due to the VERY high contrast
> between the black background and the usually white document's paper ...
> here's an example :
>

> http://ge.tt/8kuWUyB/v/0

That's indeed an interesting usage of eog, I haven't heard before of.
I know some people use eog instead of evince to view their TIFF faxes,
which is why there's also a plugin providing zoom to width
functionality. But this is new to me. :)

> ... at the end of the day it may just be a matter of tastes ... and yes
> ... the problem here could be related to the fact that I am using an
> image viewer as a document viewer ... but ... ... ... EOG does it so
> well !! ... so soft ... ... the fonts' antialiasing works so smoothly
> ... ... and ... ... I am not asking for the moon ... just being able of
> changing the background color ... ... ... ... who knows ... maybe I am
> not the only one user in this mood ...
>

> ... ANYWAY ...
>

> ... if you EOG guys have other priorities ... I can understand it ... so
> I have tried the workaround you showed me on the previous comment.
>
> I have added the following at the end of my ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
>

> EogThumbView {
> background-color: white;
> }
>

> ... white instead of black just for checking if it works but ... in my
> case the color I would like to set would be #918E7D .
>

> Actually ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ is a symbolic link to my
> /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-3.0
>

> This is how my ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css looks like :
>

> http://pastebin.com/ZfdCshJp
>

> Well ... after editing the file nothing happened ... I rebooted the
> laptop and ... the fullscreen background color remains black. :-(

Ah okay, that's a misunderstanding. That code was meant to show off that
recoloring eog's GUI works in certain situations already. This targeted
the feature that was requested in the bug you referenced in your last
mail. Adding this snippet to your gtk config will in fact change the
background color of the image collection widget (the thing with all the
thumbnails) and not the huge image viewing widget.

> Regarding to opening a bug in Bugzilla ... I mean ... I don't want to
> waste your time ... maybe it's just me giving great importance to a
> nonsense ... do you consider this really worth it ?

Don't worry about this. Although Claudio and me are having troubles
finding free time for eog for quite a long time now, we would've told
you if we were totally against it.

Also, putting it into a Bugzilla request ensures that it doesn't get
lost (which happens pretty quick on a mailing list). And even if we have
to postpone it, it might serve as a starting point for someone having
enough free time wishing to devote it to GNOME/eog. ;)

Talking of implementation, I made some short tests and it looks like the
stuff you need could be implemented in a small plugin for eog. That
would mean we likely won't have to touch eog's code and it won't hit
users not requiring that functionality (which was one of the reasons the
plugin API was created for eog).

Regards,

Felix