EOG feature suggestion - edit current path/filename

I think it would be handy to be able to edit the path/filename of the
currently displayed image to get to another image that has a similar
path/filename.

For example if I'm viewing
/home/fholson/1pix/S7300200.JPG
and want to view
/home/fholson/1pix/S7300570.JPG

This feature would allow that to be done with a few key strokes
where as about 350 "next" clicks.
Or going back to nautilus file browser (how I most often start eog)
and manuvering to the file and double clicking. (not bad but I think
editing would often be easier.)

BTW is a new instance of eog always opened when files are viewed with it
from nautilus?  (It's easy to get many instances of eog (or at least many
eog program tabs open.)  Sometimes it is nice to have several image tabs
but sometimes it is a nuisance.

Fred (who is not subscribed to eog-list gnome org)