Attached is an ico image with a .png extension that will not be read
by eog until it's renamed to foo.ico. I suspect eog uses the MIME type
to determine the file type. I also suspect this subject has been
brought up a few times already, since it's an old and very easily
reproducible bug.

Point being, it seems that, for example, Nautilus' thumbnail
generation doesn't care about the MIME type and will generate a
correct thumbnail on such an image. I unfortunately am only a Python
developer, but it's worth having a look at.

Eye of Gnome is widely used. What are the chances of such a fix making
the 2.26 release? How large would the changes be?

JL
--
Adys