status of python plugin

What is the status of the python plugin ?
Last time I checked (one year ago) it seemed some calls did not work as expected.

For example I have a plugin that write an iptc flag into the displayed image something that makes eog forget the current picture and go back to the first picture in the directory when clicking on next. så I tried to correct tha programmatically with
           #thumb = window.get_thumb_view()
           #thumb.set_current_image(eog.Image(path), True)
           #thumb.set_current_image(window.get_image(), True)
           #thumb.select_single(eog.THUMB_VIEW_SELECT_CURRENT)
But I never managed to make it work ...

The funny thing is that this bug happens when starting eog by doubleclicking on a picture in nautilus but not when starting it in a terminal.

Olivier