Re: color management

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Felix Riemann <friemann svn gnome org> wrote:

> Then, eog is also very picky about when to apply the profile. It only
> supports color correction for JPG and PNG files using the RGB pixel
> format. Then the image needs to either have an ICC profile embedded or
> have some metadata tags which say that it's sRGB. Some PNG files also
> carry chromacity and white point information which can be used by eog to
> create a matching profile. eog is not yet making the assumption that an
> image without a profile is in sRGB as GIMP does.
> Some reasons for this are we don't support extracting profiles from
> formats like SVG and TIFF, and that we get the image data in either RGB
> or RGBA  (colorcorrecting RGBAs eems to be a story of its own) from the
> gdk-pixbuf library (which does the decoding for us) among other things.
>
> Hope that helped you a bit,
>
> Felix

Hello

What about having a way to visualize that color management is in use?
Like a tiny little icon or so, that lights up when all things is well?
And it could be greyed out if eog don’t find any profile information
in the image.
Here is an example picture that eog don’t colormanage because lcms
don’t like the attached profile.
http://www.fc-prints.de/fileadmin/daten/fcPrints_Testbild_100ppi.jpg

It’s quite hard to guess that colormanagment is in use on the above
image, so if that could be visualised to the user with an “on/off”
icon, it would be very welcome.

Is color management in tiff files a planned feature?

Regards
Lars Tore Gustavsen