Desired behavior for Save As with a wrong extension

Hi,

In HEAD currently you get a crash when you do save as and give as file
name an extension that GDKPixBuf does not understand. For example if
you save a file as image.blah eog currently crashes. I made a patch
which looks at the extension of the image being saved and adds that
extension if it does not GDKPixbuf does not understand the filename.
Is this the desired behavior (it could be confusing if the file gets
saved as image.blah.jpg), or should a dialog box popup.

I looked at other applications

GIMP
A popup is shown if the extension typed is not supported and the
filechooser dialog remains visible so the user can retype

Abiword
Dialog is closed and Abiword is trying to save the file if that does
not work because of the extension a dialog box pops up

In general I think it would be nice if in GNOME there was some
standard way to handle this.

Jaap