Re: Reconciling all the metadata

Lucas Rocha wrote:

>> Now XMP metadata overlap with Exif, because it is meant to provide more
>> than that. So I was wonder about the opportunity to actually reconcile
>> both set of metadata in a unique "Metadata" view.
>
> What do you mean with "reconcile"? Is it providing a unified  "view"
> for all types of metadata? I agree that it doesn't make sense to have
> different views (EXIF and XMP) to the very same data.
>
> There are two levels for discussion on this topic: the UI level and
> the framework level.

I think it can be done at the UI level from now. A good illustration is
like I did it for Nautilus.

Actually the reconcile take the Exif, IPTC and XMP and merge everything
together. Exempi does it if it handles the IO (which it does not yet).
Typically, loading the XMP is there is none in the file would lead to a
XMP metadata block with the Exif metadata in it.

> On the UI level, the goal should be to provide the useful data in a
> meaningful/intuitive fashion. On the other hand, we can't limit power
> users (who generaly want to have access to the metadata dumps). A good
> first step is to think of the main metadata categories like:
> - Basic (title, description, date, etc)
> - Capture (aperture value, exposure time, focal length, flash, iso,
> orientation, etc)
> - Location (country, city, coordinates, etc)
> - Authorship (author name, license, copyright notes, etc).
> - Any other?

Something like that. Note that the orientation don't need to be
displayed as EOG auto rotate.

Hub