Zoom and Rotate in EoG

Dear EoG List,
I am currently an undergrad student in Computer Science and, for one of my class assignments, am writing a simple image viewer and editor using Gtk2.  This editor has to be able to both rotate and zoom the image viewed.  I was wondering  how EoG handles these things.

Is a new file created and then a library like MagickWand used?  Do you simply rotate the GdkBitmap?  Is there some image handling part of Gtk2 that I do not know about?

Any help would be great.  Thanks in advance.
Chris