Re: GtkImageView for EOG

Hello Claudio

On 8/16/07, Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl> wrote:
> > nav button. Disadvantages: Not so many because I've borrowed all the good
> > ideas from EOG. :) Not so well supported because the widget is fairly new
> > (first released April 2007). But there's no rush, I don't expect
> > GtkImageView to be "mature enough" before GNOME 2.22 anyway.
>
> How does GtkImageView perform with big animations?

Fairly well I think.

> There's a bug in EOG about very bad performance with big animations
> (#344731).

The bug is actually caused by the gdk-pixbuf library so you will find
the same problem in gThumb and GtkImageView because they all depend on
the same library. I think the problem is that the animation loader
stores each frame in memory which is not so smart.

> > So, if you like, I can produce a proof of concept patch that
> > demonstrates how EOG performs with GtkImageView.
>
> I personally think it's something worth considering. I'd like to see a
> proof of concept patch.

Great, I'll post one asap then.

> On the other hand, at some point it would be needed to propose
> GtkImageView as a dependency for EOG (and therefore for GNOME). I'm not
> sure how receptive the community would be about it (you know, nowadays
> they don't want to let much specific libraries in, but to consolidate
> GTK+), but I can think of some applications in the desktop which could
> benefit from GtkImageView.

Maybe it's a chicken and egg problem. GtkImageView is not GNOME
blessed(TM) so no GNOME app can use it and it can't be "blessed"
because no GNOME app use it. I don't know how to get around that, but
I thought suggesting a branch in EOG would be a good start. But it is
true that the GNOME module inclusion/external dependency process is
quite tricky indeed.

> Great work dude!

Thanks!

--