Re: default image zoom

Hi Mike,

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Mike Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:27:45AM +0200, Jens Finke wrote:
> > Hi Mike
> >
> > On Tue, 27 May 2003, Mike Kelly wrote:
> > > EOG has exibited some strange behavior regarding the default image size since
> > > I started using it.
> >
> > What eog version are you using exactly? Newer versions shouldn't show this
> > behaviour.
> >
> Sorry, eog-2.3.1.
>
> I've been playing around with it a bit, and I noticed that if I set a default
> size (any size greater than zero seems to work, I use 1x1*) in the "matched
> windows" control panel (I use Sawfish 1.2-gtk2 as my window manager), the
> problem goes away.  This default size is ignored by eog if it can determin
> the image size, and eog automatically resizes to it.
>
> * This trick seems to work alright for most jpegs, but there are some gifs
> which have trouble (eog shows their dimentions as -1 x -1) and are shrunk
> down to the specified size, in my case 1x1.  I've found that in order to fix
> these gifs, I need to set the default size to the largest size possible (so
> that the image is sure to be smaller), I use 1024x768.  Once again, eog
> initially opens to the default size, but the resizes to the correct image
> size (the dimentions are still shown as -1 x -1 though).

Ok, I think I could reproduce the behaviour. It will work if your image is
large enough (in kbytes) to switch to progressive image loading. This is
used for images > 1MB. If your image size is smaller it is loaded in one
run.  In this case the image size detection is broken. This is definetly a
bug.

> As sort of a final note, I noticed that images which are too large for the
> screen are resized and shrunk down until they fit.  I'm not clear on the
> logic that is used to select this new size, but it isn't the maximum amount
> of available space on the screen (it seems to be consistant at 64% zoom
> though).  I wish there was an option in the prefernecces box that would

Eog looks for your visible screen size and scales the image so that it's
dimension is maximal 75% of your screen size (for both axes). Eg. for
an 1024x768 pixel image this will result in an zoom factor of 58%
if the screen has a resolution of 800x600 pixel.

> allow me to select, with a raido button, something like:
>      For images larger than the screen:
>           o  Scale image to fix maximum avalible space.

If you press F11 you will get into fullscreen mode. Normally, in an
desktop environment with possible multiple windows you don't want to cover
the whole screen by a single window (at least not automatically).

>           o  Present image at 1:1 with scrollbars where necessary

What is the use case for this? I mean, if you start in image viewer
to view an image, I suppose you want to see it completely.

Regards,

   Jens