Re: patch

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 08:33, Jens Finke wrote:
> > I'm having a build issue with eog in gnome2-beta4. The problem is that
> > it includes /usr/include as include path before other paths. Therefore,
> > it tries to use my gnome1/gdkpixbuf1 include files (e.g.
> > /usr/include/libgnome/gnome.h) instead of gnome2/gtk2 files (e.g.
> > /usr/include/libgnome-2.0/libgnome/gnome.h).
> >
> > The solution is rather simple: remove /usr/include as include path.
> > Attached is a patch to fix it.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand this. If this is the case your setup is
> somehow wrong. It is indeed possible to have Gnome1 and Gnome2 libraries
> installed in the same prefix and pkg-config should take care of getting
> the correct headers.

I'm using the latest gnome1 official desktop release. There's newer
individual packages but... (read on)

> Ah, now I see: Do you have the latest 1.4.x packages installed? Only with
> these packages the libraries are fully parallel installable. So that the
> include path for Gnome1 is /usr/include/libgnome-1.0/libgnome/gnome.h.

This is correct. However, the patch still makes sense.

A) it doesn't make sense to upgrade gnome-1.4 in order to install
gnome-2.0
B) including /usr/include in the includes path is evil by definition,
whether it causes compiler problems or not. It shouldn't be there in the
first place, even if I didn't have compiler problems.

I hope you're still willing to apply the patch, if only for reason (B).

Ronald

--
-   .-.
-   /V\    | Ronald Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>