Re: Exif information in eog

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 22:52, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> EXIF support would be really cool.  How large is the library?  It is
> small enough that it could be added to the jpeg loader in gdk-pixbuf?
> Gdk-pixbuf in GTK+ 2.0 supports simple metadata via
> gdk_pixbuf_get_option().

lutz lutz:~/build/libexif$ ls -sh libexif-0.5.3.tar.gz
312k libexif-0.5.3.tar.gz
lutz lutz:~/build/libexif$ ls -shx ~/root/lib/libexif.*
368k /home/lutz/root/lib/libexif.a
4.0k /home/lutz/root/lib/libexif.la
   0 /home/lutz/root/lib/libexif.so
   0 /home/lutz/root/lib/libexif.so.5
172k /home/lutz/root/lib/libexif.so.5.1.0

I don't think libexif should be added to the jpeg loader - libexif is
used by gphoto2, gtkam, and a couple of smaller projects. No need to
duplicate about 7237 words (wc). Linking? Don't know if it is worth the
trouble.

I didn't know gdk_pixbuf_get_option. I don't think it is very useful in
this context. Take translation for example - libexif has translations
for the tag names and values. You can iterate over all available tags.
You can modify them.

I'd go for using libexif in the frontends, i.e. adding code to EOG to
check for EXIF data and display it in the status bar as banner.

Lutz
| Lutz Müller                 +49 (7156) 34837 |
| Hans-Sachs-Strasse 5                         |
| 71254 Ditzingen       http://www.topfrose.de |
| Germany           lutz users sourceforge net |