Re: Git access for translators

Le 04. 09. 18 à 09:16, Carlos Soriano a écrit :
Hello all,

Recently we had a bit of scramble with the release notes and some translators not having git access to it.

If I remember correctly translators are encouraged to not push directly and use Dammed Lies instead, if I remember correctly doing otherwise is unsupported.

However, some translators mentioned they usually do it this way and they usually get access.

I would need some clarification on this so we know what project/group permission set up is fit for translators. Can someone explain the current situation?

Hey Carlos,

You are right in that *most* commits should be done through the Damned Lies interface.

However, there are some cases where Damned Lies is not yet able to push *new* translations. Adding a new translation implies editing the LINGUAS file or variable to add the language code. For LINGUAS files, this is quite trivial and D-L is able to do it automatically. Unfortunately, and especially for help translations, LINGUAS is often a variable inside a Mafefile or a configure.ac file. In that case, automatic editing of the variable is tricky and I refrained programming that until now to avoid risking breaks in build processes. In those cases, "manually" committing is still the rule. Note that there are more and more modules also using LINGUAS files for docs, so this issue should be less important in the future. If the release-notes build could be changed to use a LINGUAS file, it would be great too.

Also, it would be good to know if merge requests would be appropriate for
this, instead of pure git access.

It's a bit heavier than direct pushes, but IMHO it can be acceptable.

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net