Re: Project management software

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:03 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
see if we can help track our tasks.

It took you some time, but here’s the requirement I was waiting for.

We don't have a lot of resources,

Indeed, so maybe investing it in setting up and learning a new tool is not the way to go.

I had a closer look at fluxday and it seems geared towards big entities with a rigid structure. Departments that have teams that have people? Quite entreprise-y, not really GNOME-y. It may work at your workplace, but I question how it fits with us and our lack of resource that you rightfully pinpointed above.

For instance, GNOME releases would be a lot more easier if we have all that mapped out with tasks already set.

I am not entirely convinced the problem of not creating a check list comes from the lack of tooling.

Same logic applies to kanban boards (someone recently said we should
use gitlab because it has kanban boards).

We could look at it, but gitlab doesn't really deal well with engagement and marketing I would reckon right?

I was not the one suggesting it and I am not convinced either, but I’m not convinced by fluxday either.

I'm willing to look at existing things we have already.. I will look into gitlab's kanboard stuff.  Although I'm not that impressed with kanban.

Yes, kanban boards are easily abused. So are etherpads by the way.

> I'd like to try to spin up a docker instance somewhere and see if we can
> test it.

Sure, testing is always good.

Indeed.

So, considering the above, how about testing existing resources at our disposition? We have tasks in nextcloud (which can be used with GNOME ToDo by the way) and we have Gitlab. That’s already two ways this could work with no extra set up. People could be split into two test groups and both platforms could be tried out at the same time. After the trial phase, feedback from each group would be gathered and from there we could pick one or decide none of the two is a good fit.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director