Re: Project management software

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:13 PM Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
Hey Sri, I was hoping to take a look at GitLab's kanban board since I actually do think it could work for engagement and marketing and it could then help people unfamiliar with that structure to be more comfortable in participating in dev teams later on. At Endless, we've moved our marketing and community teams to our kaban board tool (Phabricator).

OK.  I've been using dapulse and I'm really enjoying it.  Way better than anything I've used thus far, but it isn't open source.

Could we set up a test case? Maybe that's something we can look into together at GNOME.Asia.

I will try to see.. but I don't have a ton of time this week.

sri

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:36 PM Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> I'd like to start moving away from the wiki for our project management and
> move to something that is focused on team based things.  I did some
> evaluation, and I'd like to propose fluxday.io.  It is very similar to what
> we are using at work, which is dapulse which I've been digging a lot.  I
> just feel that what we have is clunky and hard to use and is not efficient.
> Tell me what you guys think?

Like I always say to my customers when they come to me and ask me for
this or that tool: what is the problem you are trying to solve?
“Project management” is not an acceptable answer. ☺ I’m never opposed
to any tool (software license and privacy are not an issue here since
it’s Free and we would host our instance) but one should use a tool
because it is the right one for their task at hand, not because it
looks cool.

Yes, I am definitely trying to solve a problem.

We are doing project management through a wiki and etherpad.  This is a horrible way to set and figure out the tasks.  While there is no native client for project management we seem to be blessed with many open source project management software that we can try out and see if we can help track our tasks.  We don't have a lot of resources, and having software that maximizes our productivity given our constraints is a good thing.  For instance, GNOME releases would be a lot more easier if we have all that mapped out with tasks already set.

Same logic applies to kanban boards (someone recently said we should
use gitlab because it has kanban boards).

We could look at it, but gitlab doesn't really deal well with engagement and marketing I would reckon right?  I'm willing to look at existing things we have already.. I will look into gitlab's kanboard stuff.  Although I'm not that impressed with kanban.

> I'd like to try to spin up a docker instance somewhere and see if we can
> test it.

Sure, testing is always good.

Indeed.

Alexandre Franke