Re: [Foundations] Net neutrality for FLOSS

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 3:12 PM Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
Would we promote this article on GNOME social media? It wouldn't be an official statement, but we could say something like "Read about how Net Neutrality might affect FLOSS projects like GNOME and how you can help [insert link to article]."

Thoughts?

Absolutely!!

sri

Best,
Nuritzi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Molly de Blanc <deblanc riseup net>
Date: Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Subject: [Foundations] Net neutrality for FLOSS
To: foundations lists freedesktop org

Hi!

With net neutrality in the United States being at such immediate risk,
we (at the FSF) have been talking about the relationship between net
neutrality and user freedom, free software projects, and organizations.

A significant number of project contributors live in the United
States.[1] That map is, admittedly, a little outdated, but it provides a
powerful (IMO) visual that demonstrates the sheer volume of
contributions that come out of the US. (Yeah, I know github isn't the
best dataset to try and capture a full picture, but it's an easy one. :P)

[1]: http://davidfischer.github.io/gdc2/#languages/All

Especially looking at ISP offerings of limited internet services (i.e.
lower user pricing for access to only certain websites/services) and
paid fast lanes for those hosting, we're looking at a serious threat to
people making their first contributions; starting, launching, and
sharing projects; the ongoing and growing success of projects and web
services; and our organizations as well.

If you haven't already, I hope you'll think about reaching out to your
members, communities, and people about the upcoming decision on whether
the FCC will gut the Title II classification that is the closest thing
we have to net neutrality protection in the US.

While I'm not sending this email as a representative of the FSF, I did
write this thing there[2], highlighting some of the actions people can take.

[2]: http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/take-action-for-net-neutrality

Cheers,
M.

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless