Re: Asset licensing guidelines

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 02:32:36PM +0000, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> Oh, interesting I didn't think of that.  That said, the share-alike license
> does grant Facebook and Twitter rights to duplicate which is all they are
> asking anyways.
Last time I've checked Facebook ToS they wanted rights to sublicence assests with their terms.

That's still the case.

That is, of course, not compatible with any share-alike licence.

Which is also the view that at least one person gave me when I asked on #creativecommons a little while ago.

I've received some information from the Senior Counsel at Creative Commons. (As you'd expect, this can't be treated as concrete legal advice.) The main message is that, while the terms of service of social media sites do technically contravene the terms of Creative Commons licenses, in practical terms it probably isn't too much to worry about.