Re: infographic rev 0

Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
I get that the infographic is intended for new contributors. The
question was which contributors: are we talking about new engagement
team recruits, or any new contributor? This will affect the kind of
information we include.

Ah, well for now I think we can focus on engagement team, and then expand the scope going forward.  What do you think?

That's totally acceptable as a direction. The reason I asked is that your original draft looks rather engineering-focused. The release cycle is interesting to engagement contributors, but I'm not sure the specifics of the release schedule are the main pieces of information they need.

It might be a good exercise to review what we think the most critical pieces of information are for new engagement contributors who are completely new to GNOME and Free Software. Things that come to my mind are:

 * We produce two releases a year, March to September and September to March.
 * GNOME doesn't have its own product: distros ship our code.
 * Different companies and volunteers work on the project.
 * Diverse teams and activities are involved in producing our releases - documentation, translations, accessibility, design, QA, etc
 * The main activities that the Engagement Team does, and the times throughout the year that they happen.

I've had a rough go at sketching out an infographic that communicates some of this information. Some things are missing, and some parts are quite rough:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5031519/gnome-year-infographic.png