Re: Closing the GNOME BitPay account

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
Hi.

Hello,

Do you have details?
I could only find https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf which
does not indicate that "virtual currency" should be treated differently
than "real currency".
But I wonder why you think any of this is applicable at all, because
the Foundation neither accepts, holds, nor spends any
bitcoins.  The foundation receives USD from Bitpay.

The issue has nothing to do with currencies. The problem is that as a
501(c)(3) we need to know where our donations come from, and bitcoin's
anonymity prevents us from knowing that.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director