Re: Technologies Page for gnome.org

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:37 AM Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
>> Kinda surprised we didn't already have something like that!
>
> IMHO we have something pretty similar:
> https://developer.gnome.org/platform-overview/stable/tech.html
>
> Would love to see avoiding duplication here if possible...

There are a few things that the new page does and the platform
overview doesn't. First, it isn't very visible, so it isn't effective
at advertising our tech to visitors. Second, it doesn't advertise the
projects outside of GNOME where we have an impact, and that can be
considered part of our stack.

Indeed, and honestly, I'd like to advertise the kind of things we do outside of GNOME.  Patches we submit to the kernel, bluetooth, etc.  I'd like to show people that this project is contributing to a lot of things.

But I agree that it's good to avoid duplication, and we should
certainly try and think of solutions to that.

+1

In the mean time, I've published the page, with a new graphic supplied
by Jimmac: https://www.gnome.org/technologies/

It's not fantastic, but it's a start (and better than nothing).

Sweet.  We really do need to think about our home page though.  Talking with the freshman at Purdue really got me thinking about how to make that emotional connection with people.  I don't have time for that right now and I"m hoping someone else will take it up as a project and I would be happy to provide input.