Re: potlatch

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:21 PM Hashem Nasarat <hnasarat gmail com> wrote:
I think using the actual term would be inappropriately appropriative
considering the cultural significance of the term and practice. (As the
basis of a new term though, perhaps) Potlatches seem like an amazing
practice, thanks for sharing!

It did occur to me that we might be misappropriating it.  I was hoping to ask a tribal member if it was okay.  Some tribes are very sensitive about such things.  But the term is generic for tribes along the pacific northwest.

I think it just depends on how it is being used.  After all, nobody objected to Ubuntu?  I would not for instance, feel slighted if people used the word 'Yagna'.

sri