Re: The Children Of GNOME

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:23:37AM +0000, ikey wrote:
I was wondering what thoughts people had as to centralizing
communication between the Children of GNOME? Off the top of
my head that includes Budgie (thus Evolve OS), Pantheon (
thus Elementary OS), MATE and even Cinnamon (more long distance)

I usually leave this up to the various teams. For MATE, we've given them
ownership and git accounts so they can maintain various modules that
we've dropped. They're able to upload things on download.gnome.org.

I usually don't see any problems having people use GNOME infrastructure.
There's an requirement list somewhere. Basically: free software, GTK+
related, maintained. That's more than just communication. Being closer
on infra usually eases communication though.

So yeah. Budgie is a proud GNOME brat and it seems to me that
throughout our implementations, we're not all talking to all
of our siblings. A simple example could be something as trivial
as porting something from one API to another, relevant to all
of the kids. Others may be more advanced, such as Wayland efforts,
again of interest to all of us.

This depends on the preferred method of communication. If the various
teams want to communicate, then we can e.g. setup a mailing list on
mail.gnome.org. If some prefer forums, then this won't work.

For distributors of GNOME, we announce big changes to distributor-list.
Might be beneficial to watch that one?

Budgie and Pantheon likely keep closer to the latest upstream versions
of the GNOME software, so speaking on behalf of only Budgie right now
I imagine there are situations we would run into, that we could give
a "heads up - here's what we went and fixed" to the other projects.

This sounds a little bit like what GNOME uses distributor-list for.

More of a 7:20AM ramble, but I hope others would be interested in
more combined efforts and centralizing discussions, as opposed to
the existing tribal knowledge and whatnot. :)

Reusing infrastructure and GNOME facilitating things, there's a lot of
leeway. Just as long as it is still considered separate projects.

BTW: https://evolve-os.com/download/  md5 is not secure. You want
sha25sum.

--
Regards,