Re: Video conferencing software [was: Re: Virtual conferences and hackfests to replace physical events?]

Andre this is great, thanks for searching. I'll have to see what I come up with on my end.  Yes one of the basic requirements would be an open-source service and not everyone has a Google account which makes the search more difficult.  Something hosted on Amazon or Google Cloud makes the most sense.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
[Hope this isn't too bikesheddy as everybody can easily have an opinion
on this topic.]

On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 13:42 +0100, Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote:
> > Okay, so do you have any recommendations on how additional virtual events
> > could be added that complement these physical events?
>
> The documentation team try to have a hangout available for other team
> members at our hackfests, but it would be better if a more reliable,
> Free alternative was available.

Recently had a "video conferencing software vs. freedom" topic on my
company's internal mailinglist too. Free Software which was mentioned
(if someone wants to experiment, I have not yet):
* http://jscommunicator.org/
* https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitMeet

I have started to prefer https://appear.in/ (run by Telenor) over Google
Hangouts for small meetings (didn't feel stable enough for >4 people
last time I tried). It's NOT free software either but it does not
require an additional closed-source browser plugin and it does not
require registration / login, which feels like a small step forward
compared to Google Hangouts. Requires a recent browser (WebRTC).

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/