Re: Adding about page to git.gnome.org repositories

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 03:43:39PM +0200, Allan Day wrote:
Having the about pages on git.gnome.org seems like a nice approach.
The only issue I see is that we're potentially duplicating material
that's on the wiki, and if people don't look at these about pages,
they won't get updated.

Yes, that's my worry as well. For that I'd like some "grand scheme"
feedback/actionplan.

doap:
+ can enforce that minimal amount of information is available
+ by using the doap files, should ensure that it is up to date
+ doap files are already used for various things
+ only one place where you update something, rest is automatic
- not the same as a wiki
- ensuring it is updated at right times requires sysadmin to setup
  initial process
- potential overlap between wiki and doap
- per git module, so 1 git module can only ever have 1 about page
  this would've been problematic for (historic): gnome-games

wiki:
+ can add any content you want (meeting logs, etc)
+ can easily be changed
- not as consistent
- might not cover every module
- not automatic (e.g. I see some people adding the releases manually..
  even if scripted, that is bad IMO)

--
Regards,
Olav