Re: Expectations of 'Classic' mode

I think it's mostly so that those who liked the classic style have the option so they can eventually bridge the gap and move to GNOME 3.  We've lost some people to Mate and Cinnamon precisely because some people really are comfortable with the old gui.

But eventually, as hardware changes they'll have to eventually give it up and move to something that supports the new hardware.  (eg laptops with touch screens for instance)

But for now, they can still use the old method which a lot of people really did like.

Now if we could get someone to write wobbly windows effect (which a lot of people liked)  Funny, wobbly windows started at GNOME as a demonstration of the new X capabilities. :-)

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Calum Benson <calum benson oracle com> wrote:

On 25 Feb 2013, at 17:40, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> Eww.. let's not call it "Lite" anything because it sounds like it is inferior to GNOME 3 and I don't want to give that impression.

Don't worry, I hate the term myself so I was mostly joking :)  (But on the other hand, if we didn't believe GNOME 3 was a superior experience, there would be no reason to have stopped working on GNOME 2… and 'Lite' does perhaps actually convey a suitability for less capable hardware, which is less obvious with 'Classic'.)

--Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON                        Interaction Designer
+353 1 803 3807                     Systems Experience Design