Re: Community Teams

On 3 December 2013 20:39, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
On 12/02/2013 08:50 PM, William Jon McCann wrote:
While the term LUG or UG may resonate with some older users it doesn't
really seem too inviting to me or some of the people I've tried to reach
out to (ugh).

So, I started thinking about what groups of gnomes might be called...

There are a bunch of other ways we could go -
 * Move away from a label altogether, and have GNOME meet-ups (meet-up
seems to have replaced user group as the thing to call yourself, replace
"who we are" with "what we do").
 * If we want to create a sense of belonging & a strong group identity,
is there another name that might be both a rallying cry and send a
message of welcoming? "guild", maybe?
 * Send a message of GNOME assimilation & integration: "Join your local
GNOME cube"?

I'm just wondering, has anyone actually spoken to any of our user
groups about this? For example, I know that some of our South American
groups actively organise events and have booths at events to promote
GNOME, so referring to those as "meet-ups" would be not representative
of what they do.

I propose that we:

 * Rename https://wiki.gnome.org/UserGroups to https://wiki.gnome.org/Clans
 * Move individual team content under that page (eg.
https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeBrasil -> https://wiki.gnome.org/Clans/Brasil)
 * Streamline the presentation of the clans page and add a map

What do you think? Should we go ahead?

For team content, it makes more sense for me that team members would
move their content. Perhaps user group naming is also something which is
more appropriate as a bottom-up decision, rather than top-down? Doing a
survey of local user group members definitely makes sense to me.

I think that would be a more productive way to approach this.

Jon, if you do end up moving any of the pages, please make sure to add
redirects. A number of other wiki pages have been moved recently and
because redirects were not added, this has left a lot of broken links
all over the internet. This looks really bad and is probably quite
harmful to encouraging participation. I have fixed some of those, but
this is very time consuming after the fact so it would be great if it
was possible to have some sort of script to do it automatically at the
point when pages are moved.